In India, the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) category has been created to provide benefits and reservations to individuals from economically weaker sections of society.
Benefits of EWS Certificate
Some of the benefits of being certified as an EWS in India are:
1. Reservation in Education: EWS candidates are eligible for 10% reservation in admission to educational institutions, including private schools and colleges, in addition to the existing reservation for SC/ST/OBC candidates.
2. Reservation in Government Jobs: EWS candidates are eligible for 10% reservation in direct recruitment to civil posts and services in the Government of India, in addition to the existing reservation for SC/ST/OBC candidates.
3. Reservation in Parliament and State Assemblies: EWS candidates are eligible for reservation of one-third of the total number of seats reserved for SCs and STs in Lok Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies.
4. Financial Assistance: EWS candidates may be eligible for financial assistance under various government schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), which provides housing for all by 2022, and the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM), which provides financial assistance to rural households living below the poverty line.
5. Other Benefits: EWS candidates may also be eligible for benefits such as fee waivers for various government services, special loans with lower interest rates, and scholarships for higher education.
How to Apply?
Below are the links of respective states and Union territories of India where you can apply for EWS Certificate. Most of them have online registration for EWS.
Website (to apply)
Website (to apply)
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
Jammu and Kashmir
Kindly note that each website is built uniquely. Once you visit these websites, you may need to search "Apply for Certificate" or "EWS Certificate" to begin the application process.
Please note that you may need to create an account on the website or log in if you already have one before you can start filling out the EWS certificate application form.
Also, keep in mind that the process of applying for an EWS certificate may require some supporting documentation, such as -
· Photograph of the Applicant
· Proof of Identity of the Applicant
· Income Certificate (Generally the Income Certificate, can also be applied separately but on same website)
· Adhaar card
It is recommended to have all the necessary documents ready before starting the application process. But it is advisable to create an account if you don’t have one. Then visit the particular link to see the list of supporting documents.
Once you are done with EWS process, please visit your respective state Education Department's website. These departments may release last dates for applying for EWS.